ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Week Two - 2nd Hive Check

Today I got to visit the hives for the second time.

10 Frame Hive - Plenty of activity outside the hive (as expected with temps in the mid-50's). Bees returning to hive with full pollen sacks. Still no activity on frames 1,2,3,8,9,10. Comb being drawn out nicely on 4,5,6. Some capping of honey in corners and on top of frames. I could not find the queen, but did see eggs and that is evidence enough. It doesn't appear that the bees are touching the syrup feeder. Bees were very disinterested in me. Lots of bees packed in to three of four middle frames.

9 Frame Hive - Plenty of activity outside the hive (as expected with temps in the mid-50's). Bees returning to hive with full pollen sacks. Still no activity on frames 1,2,3,8,9,10. Comb being drawn out nicely on 4,5,6. Capping of honey on top and outside edges of hive. Bees more lively that nine frame hive. Several flying in my face to investigate me. Saw first pupae (I'm going to be a daddy!). It doesn't appear that the bees are touching the syrup feeder.

Lessons Learned

Smoker - Get it lit right the first time, then I won't have to worry about it going out. Don't rest smoker on hive, place it on the ground. Bees seemed better when smoke was not constantly blowing on them.

Camera - Take lots of pictures! The ones I did take, turned out nice (see below).

Warmer Weather - May not want to visit hives when temps are less than 60'.





No comments: