ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Cracking Open the Hives

Today was the day I'd been waiting for.  I cracked open both hives.  I lit my smoker, dawned my suit, and grabbed my tools and went to work.  Here is what I found...

First, both hives had considerable less activity on the outside than two days ago.  I think this was due to the weather clouding up a bit and being a little gray outside.  I did notice that both hives did have bees coming and going, just not as many as before.  

The 10 frame hive had a good bit of syrup missing.  I'd estimate that about half of the original two gallons was gone.  The bees were quite pleasant.  I got really nervous when I confirmed that I had installed the queen cage incorrectly.  Despite that, i was pleased that she had been released.  I immediately noticed that the bees had been busy building up on the fifth, sixth, and seventh frame.  There were lots of bees in the hive, and I could not find the queen.  I think this was due to the weather and many bees just stayed inside today.  I did see that the bees had been bringing in pollen due to the dark brown, red, and yellow filled comb.  Also, I noticed clear, built up comb with what looked like clear syrup inside.  I think this is where the eggs will be/are deposited, but I cannot confirm that I saw eggs.  In the middle of inspecting this hive, my smoker went out.  Note to self:  pack the smoker full of fuel next time!  I moved the hive off of the lousy milk carton stand and put four cinder blocks underneath it instead.  I also switched the entrance reducer to the smallest opening and confirmed that the bees could enter and exit.  I added a gallon of sugar syrup to the feeder.  I'll recheck this hive in a few days.

Hive number two, the nine frame hive looked pretty much the same.  Again, about half of the two gallons of syrup was gone.  These bees seemed a little more active with me around.  I noticed the queen had been released and I found her almost immediately.  I'm glad I had them marked.  I also saw the same pollen and build up on framed five, six, and seven.  I this hive, I can confirm eggs(?).  I think I saw them anyway.  I have to get better at spotting them.  The bees had built up some burr comb around the queen cage which I removed.  One of the bees didn't care to much for that and I watched her attempt to sting me through my leather gloves.  It was fascinating as she pointed he body almost straight up, then pushed down and shook violently.  I watched the stinger come out and take her venom sack and part of her guts out with her.

One thing that I've noticed about this hive is a few bee poops (for lack of a better term) at the front entrance of the hive.  I noticed one on top of the one of the brood frames as well.  They are long, yellow, and look like long, narrow spatters.  I know that this can be a sign of Nosema, so I'll watch this.  I am treating for this already, but will continue to monitor for other signs.  I fixed the entrance reducer and added another gallon of syrup.

All in all, it was a great day.  I did learn a few lessons and realize that with time, I'll get better and more confident.


I did install my queen cage incorrectly. Why then do they make them that way?


No comments: