ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Saturday, April 19, 2008

Home Sweet Home

My bees are in their hives.  After a trip down south to pick up my bees, I installed them later this afternoon.  Installing them was so much easier than I thought it would be.  After only a few minutes, they were in their hives.  I fed them each two gallons of sugar syrup, one of which is treated with Fumagilin-B which treats for a honeybee disease known as Nosema.

A couple of thoughts:

First, I don't like the hive stand configuration that I have.  I need to use a total of 8 cinderblocks, where now I have four.  Also, the milk crate idea that I had seen on the net is useless.  Tuesday, I'll be fixing these issues.  

Second, although I like the full body suit for protection, I can't see using it during the middle of summer.  I think I'll either get just a jacket, or just use a veil and long sleeve shirt and jeans.  It's a little much, but I have to admit, it did offer a degree of confidence and allowed me to work with the bees without worrying one bit.

Third, I'm not sure how the queen installation went.  I think I turned the queen cage the correct way.  I'll know more on Tuesday.  

Fourth, I need to measure the syrup and record how much they are taking.  I found very little about this matter in my research.  



Take a good look at the picture with the pond in the background.  This is where the bees will get their 'cooling water' from.  The landowner/farmers thought this would be a good spot.  I agree.  He was nice enough to clear a little area amidst some trees for my hives.  This should be a nice spot with morning sun, afternoon shade, and some evening sun again.  Thanks to him, I've got a beautiful spot, quiet, and peaceful for my bees. 

Now ladies, the rest is up to you!

No comments: