Saturday, April 19, 2008
My bees are in their hives. After a trip down south to pick up my bees, I installed them later this afternoon. Installing them was so much easier than I thought it would be. After only a few minutes, they were in their hives. I fed them each two gallons of sugar syrup, one of which is treated with Fumagilin-B which treats for a honeybee disease known as Nosema.
A couple of thoughts:
First, I don't like the hive stand configuration that I have. I need to use a total of 8 cinderblocks, where now I have four. Also, the milk crate idea that I had seen on the net is useless. Tuesday, I'll be fixing these issues.
Second, although I like the full body suit for protection, I can't see using it during the middle of summer. I think I'll either get just a jacket, or just use a veil and long sleeve shirt and jeans. It's a little much, but I have to admit, it did offer a degree of confidence and allowed me to work with the bees without worrying one bit.
Third, I'm not sure how the queen installation went. I think I turned the queen cage the correct way. I'll know more on Tuesday.
Fourth, I need to measure the syrup and record how much they are taking. I found very little about this matter in my research.
Take a good look at the picture with the pond in the background. This is where the bees will get their 'cooling water' from. The landowner/farmers thought this would be a good spot. I agree. He was nice enough to clear a little area amidst some trees for my hives. This should be a nice spot with morning sun, afternoon shade, and some evening sun again. Thanks to him, I've got a beautiful spot, quiet, and peaceful for my bees.
Now ladies, the rest is up to you!