ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Thursday, September 18, 2008

More Feeding

Date:  September 18, 2008
Time:  1:00 pm
Weather:  Low 80's, clear and calm

After seeing how much syrup the bees consumed yesterday, I went to Kroger early this morning and bought 40lbs of sugar to feed the bees.  It's on sale and I decided to make as much syrup as my feeders would hold.  Both hives had plenty of activity upon my arrival and were touching up the last bits of sugar left in the empty feeders.  Each hive got 2 1/2 gallons of 2:1 sugar syrup (15 lbs of sugar for each hive).  I'm interested to see how fast they can consume that much syrup. 
 

Immediately after closing up Exodus, I noticed a few yellow jackets, a hummingbird and a butterfly checking out things close by.  Word must travel fast that there's food nearby...

I also noticed a few inch-worms on the ground close to Genesis, but I don't think they'll be a problem.

No comments: