ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Friday, September 12, 2008

Removing Honey

Date:  September 11, 2008
Time:  11:00 AM
Temperature:  72'
Weather:  Sunny, but clouding ahead of cold front bringing rain for two days

Today was the day!  I took the honey supers off both Genesis and Exodus hives.  First a few observations:
  • Both hives were still buzzing with activity, although not as much as in past visits.  I believe that this may be due to the cooler temperatures and the end of the honeyflow here in Northern Kentucky.  The only major nectar source left is Goldenrod, which as some people may know, is an extremely strong and dark variety of honey.
  • The drones are still in both hives.  As part preparation for winter, the drones (males) are expelled from the hive to maximize food stores.
  • I observed both capped brood and larvae in both hives.
  • Honey Robber worked will with minimal disruption and no stings.
Now, a few weeks ago I added an extra super to each hive and rearranged the frames in each hive.  Since then, I can't say anything has changed.  After taking a good look, I believe that out of the two supers I have about 50% capped honey, 75% total honey stored, and 25% blank.  I've secured a dehumidifier to remove some of the water and get the uncapped honey to about 16% moisture level to prevent fermentation.

Monday I'll be extracting the honey with the kids from the county owned extractor.  It should be fun and I'm looking forward to seeing the total honey take for 2008. 


No comments: