ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Sunday, September 7, 2008

Mead is Made

Last year, I bought 5 gallons of 'wildwood' honey from a local beekeeper to brew mead with. 

In July of 2007, I brewed a 5 gallon batch of traditional mead using a recipe I found in 'The Joy of Homebrewing' by Charlie Papazian (using about 15 lbs. of honey).  Today, after allowing it to age for over a year, I finally bottled it up.  

It remains at 14.80% Brix and an alcohol content of 15.75% which is a little stronger than I wanted, but nonetheless, it's delicious.  It has a wonderful honey aroma, taste, and sweetness that nothing else can compare to.

I can now add 'Mazer' to the list of titles I carry around.



Here are some pictures from the brewing process.


No comments: