ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Trying to Build a Nuc

Ok, so for the last week or so, I've been trying to build a nuc hive.  I have a lot of tools, but my table saw, which I'm using to cut box joints, doesn't want to cooperate.

First, i tried to build a jig to make my box joint cuts easier and more accurate.  Then, after realizing that things could go easier with a dado blade, I decided to check into that.  The arbor on my saw blade is too short, so no dado blade can be used.

Next, I tried using my router with a 3/4" bit, but the wood likes to chip out.  So, that seems to be out.

Next, I'll look at buying the aluminum box jig and trying that with my saw.  If that doesn't work, I may have to look at stepping up in saw.  Well, funny how it works because it's still cheaper than buying hives.  I'd still rather build them myself and I'm not giving up just yet.

It's just frustrating...but as I told my older son, if it was easy, it wouldn't be worthwhile.

No comments: