ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Great News, Varroa Analysis

I received word back from Dr. Tom Webster from Kentucky State University.  Here is his e-mail:

Darcy,

These sticky board counts look pretty good. They come to 26 per day and 10 per day. If the counts come to 50 per day or higher be aware that they are getting in the danger zone.

The fall of mites is higher during very hot weather (above 90, as we have had recently). If your sticky boards were in the hives during this hot spell, the numbers will give you over-estimates. In other words, the mite populations are not as high as they appear to be.

Are you using screened bottom boards? If not, I recommend that you get some and swap them for the solid bottom boards. This is a good way to get rid of live mites that fall from the bees. And they are especially useful during hot spells when the mites tend to lose their grip on the bees.

Also, you do not need to feed syrup now. The bees have had plenty of time to find flowers and there is a good honey flow on in most parts of the state.

Tom


So, I'm in good shape.  I'll continue to monitor the Varroa Counts.  I'm thrilled that my supers are on and the bees are now busy collecting my honey. 

No comments: