ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Varroa Destructor

Yesterday, while examining a few of the odd pieces of burr comb, I came across a section that was full of larvae.  Being a little curious I tore the front cover off and out oozed an immature bee.  Along with the bee I spotted a Varroa mite!   As soon as I saw it, I knew exactly what it was and I completely forgot to write about finding it.

Now, here is where I'll begin my research on treating this.  My first thought is that it's not too bad since I'm not taking any honey yet and it's early in the season.  But, I'll have to check on that.

This picture is from the Wikipedia.

No comments: