ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Preparing to Attack

After getting my response from Phil Craft, the Kentucky State Apiarist about my Varroa problem, I have formulated my plan of attack against the little mites that would, if left alone, be a death sentence to my hive(s).

Phil suggested that I conduct a 'stick board' test to count the mites.  I'll use Apigaurd, a chemical treatment that is safe for the bees and humans.  This will knock out some of the mites and allow me to count the dead ones to give a rough estimate of the level of infestation.

After that, my plan of attack is as follows;

First, I'll be installing a screened bottom board to help keep mites that are groomed off the bees from crawling back up into the hive.  The mites fall down through a screen and cannot physically crawl back into the brood chamber where the bees live.  

Second, based on the test results and mite count, I will either dust them with powdered sugar (this encourages grooming and the loosening of mites), or I'll go ahead with a full chemical treatment.

Third, I'll continue to test and count mites to monitor levels.

After about four days of research, I've realized that mites are a factor that most beekeepers have to deal with.  Levels can be controlled through various chemical and mechanical methods.  It seems that the key is early detection and monitoring.  So far, I feel a little ahead of the curve and feel like I caught it early enough.

I can't stress enough the importance of having good resources to lean on.  Thank you Phil for your prompt response (even on a holiday).

No comments: