ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Updates and News

With the bone chilling, shortened, and often gray days of winter here in Northern Kentucky, there hasn't been much in the way of beekeeping going on, but I did want to post an update for those of you who still read this blog, even during the winter.

First, I did finish my novel. It's just as bad as I expected it to be and will never again see the light of day. I'm glad I spent the time writing it and I have decided that I will never be a writer.

Second, I found out this week that I am being transferred to Charlotte, NC. The family and I are very excited about the prospect of heading to a new town for new adventures. What does this mean for my bees? Well, if Exodus has survived, I'll sell the bees, but if not, it won't be a problem. I am planning on taking my hives with me and starting them up again. Since we'll be moving during the summer, there is no use in repopulating the Genesis hive and so my beekeeping for 2010 is most likely going to be put on hold.

Finally, I know that many of you are waiting for the next podcast episode. I'm not sure when that will be, but please be patient. Keep checking back and let me know what your plans are for 2010.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to Charlotte...a few months early. We have a very active bee club (Meckenburg Beekeepers Association) and hope you plan to join. -George

Unknown said...

I ordered my bees. Pickup 4/24. Hive is setup closer to the house this year. Lost them last time. Didn't check often enough and feed well enough. This year I will check every day even if I do not open the hive. I'll have plenty for fructose to feed them and maybe even get some soy flower to augment pollen.

Troy said...

Hello,
Just a quick note to say I am a beginning beekeeper, and I just found your podcasts on iTunes. I have listened to all of them, and have enjoyed them very much. Are you planning on doing anymore in 2010? Are you still beekeeping in your new location? Thanks, Troy in Western Pennsylvania.

Unknown said...

Keep up your good work. I really like your podacst and your blog. I live in Canada near Montreal and I have a bee project, that I did put on hold a year ago.

I'm looking to hear from you again on your blog !

Martin Dubeau

ChickenLittle said...

I'm in the process of listening to your podcasts (haven't finished them yet). They are great and I'm sad they there are not more of them

We Save Bees said...

The World has a shortage, and without bees we will feel the effects locally as well. Southern California could lose 20+ crops that are 95-100% dependent on honeybee pollination. We Save Bees is leading the Country in successful live bee removal as 92% of our hives are relocated to farms for pollination. We have these results because We Save Bees does each removal live and by hand. We do not use ‘bee vacuums’ as they kill bees as well as the chemicals do. In Southern California, each home will average one hive per twenty years. Each home can choose to have a live bee removal. We all can make a difference… save the bees and help save the world.