ABOUT THE BEEKEEPING PODCAST

If you are interested in becoming a beekeeper, or you want to become a better beekeeper, join me for thoughts on beekeeping in the news, honeybee research, book and equipment reviews, interviews, and other beekeeping topics.

Subscribe in iTunes

Subscribe in Zune

Sunday, June 14, 2009

Hive Inspection - Show Me The Honey!

Time: 11:30 am
Temp: 73'
Weather Conditions: Hazy, Winds Calm


Today I visited my two hives. I realized it had been a while since my last inspection and I needed to cut the grass and weeds around my hives. The weather here has been a combination of both warm and wet which has given plenty of growth opportunity to the plants and flora in the area.

Both hives were extremely quiet. Not too many bees coming or going, no orientation flights, and not much activity when I opened up the hive. I'm not sure what this means and next week when I have more time, I'll have to do a very through inspection. When I checked the supers that I had put on back in April, each frame showed a beautiful amount of capped honey. The frames were about 70-80% complete. I added another super and closed up each hive.


I hope that I'll get at least one really nice frame to show at the fair this year. My friend let me borrow a really nice display case for frames which I'll detail in another post.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did you get a chance to make it back to your two hives and determine why there was low activity?